Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Waiting For This


Let's travel back in time, shall we?

Way back before I had a clue about anything. Way back before I discovered the art of a full scalp bleach, a mani pedi, Mac Cosmetics, Steve Madden, other alcoholic beverages than UDL's, Brunswick Street, iTunes & iPods & iPhones... Way back before I found all the things that made me ME.

Way back before drama. There was Hanson.

Year 9. 14 years old. My room was covered, roof to floor, wall to wall, in Taylor Hanson. I donned Hanson apparel, accessories, my first house key was attached to my Hanson keyring, I owned every Smash hits, TV Hits, Popstar, Albums, Singles, Videos (yes, pre DVD era)

I was obsessed. And slightly unbalanced.

Yes.

My first love.

Dictionary.com tells me that the meaning of love is, "a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person."

And that pretty much sums up my second year of High School.

So when they toured Australia a few years later, I found myself thinking I was way too good to go see them. (and by too good, I mean too embarrassed) I had moved on. I had fallen out of love.

But that's the thing about first love. There's something about it. Every love there after stands to be compared. And in comparison, future loves never quite make the cut.

So here I am. In Denver, Colorado, 12 years later, returning unabashedly to my first love. Yes. That was me. Front row last night at the Ogden Theatre, hyperventilating as Taylor Hanson reached down to take my hand. Breathe.

It's pretty easy to get lost in the crap our lives are made up of. But if I could go back to that 14 year old girl, before she faced many a heart break, I'd tell her to enjoy the good moments. No matter how cheesy and lame they may seem, if those moments make you smile, well, just smile. Cause those cheesy, lame dreams may just come true.

Even if it's 12 years too late.

"Without a doubt girl you're ahead of your time... Cause I know that you've been thinkin' bout it, and I know they think you're out of your mind. All of this time, I know that you've been waiting for this." HANSON

No comments:

Post a Comment