Sunday, September 6, 2009

Brand New Day

Today was interesting.

I went to church with my host family. It was so different to anything I'd ever been to. It was a Methodist church, so very traditional & super small. But. Despite me being out of my comfort zone (that seems to be happening quite a bit lately), I definately realised something...

See, I took the time to look around, to read people's expressions, to try & interpret their body language... And you know what? When you take the time to look around, you often SEE things. I saw people with hope & contentment. And that wasn't a result of some flashy service, a huge crowd, or even because it was "expected"

It was because they were free.

Freedom can look very different to different people. I think we so often get stuck in trying to be "free" in a place where we are really restricted. How can one be free when they are bound?

So in my ongoing journey of discovery, today I learnt this: No matter what you believe, and no matter how your faith is outworked- believe what you're saying, serve where you feel called, and never let anyone tell you what to believe or how to believe it.

You may sing 50 year old, boring as heck hymns, you may kick it in a modern church where you can dance around, but whatever way you express your beliefs, just make sure you actually believe what your life is saying. Cause really, at the end of the day, it's between you and one other person.

And everyone else can stick it!

"Make your past your past... It's a brand new day, for the first time in such a long time, I know I'll be ok. This cycle never ends, gotta fall in order to mend." JOSHUA RADIN

1 comment: